National Headlines
Subscribe To This Feed

Sion Fullana/ YORK) -- A New York City firefighter died late Thursday battling a blaze on the Harlem set of a film starring Ed Norton and Bruce Willis.

Michael R. Davidson, 37, was separated from his unit while fighting the five-alarm fire and was later found unconscious, Fire Commissioner Dan Nigro said at a press conference early Friday morning. He was transported to Harlem Hospital, where he later died.

Two other firefighters suffered serious burns and three civilians experienced minor injuries, Nigro said.

Officials do not yet know what caused the fire, which has been extinguished.

"Firefighter Davidson bravely battled many fires and responded to countless calls for help from New Yorkers throughout his 15 years of dedicated service," Nigro said later in a statement. "Our department and our entire city mourn this tragic loss of a very brave firefighter."

Davidson was cited for bravery and livesaving actions on four different occasions. He's the son of retired firefighter Robert Davidson, a 26-year FDNY veteran, and the brother of Eric Davidson, an 11-year veteran of Engine Company 88 in the Bronx.

Davidson is survived by his wife, Eileen; three daughters, ages 7, 3 and 1; and a 6-year-old son. Arrangements are pending.

Norton reportedly was at the scene of the fire, which sparked around 11 p.m. He wrote the screenplay for "Motherless Brooklyn," which is based on a Jonathan Lethem novel. Filming was not occurring at the time of the fire.

Norton and the film's producers later released a statement confirming that the fire started in a cellar below where they'd been filming.

"Our deepest condolences to the family of Michael R. Davidson," the statement read. "As soon as we noticed smoke coming up into our set, our crew immediately alerted the fire department and began alerting residents of the building even as we evacuated our cast and crew. To our great sorrow, we now know that a NYC firefighter lost his life battling the blaze that grew, and our hearts ache in solidarity with his family. New York City firefighters truly are the bravest in the world. We watched firsthand with astonishment as they charged into the smoke to make sure all were safely out and then fought to contain the blaze and prevent it from spreading, putting their lives on the line as they do every day. The FDNY are real-life superheroes and have our boundless admiration and gratitude."

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(CHEVERLY, Md.) -- The mother of a 16-year-old shot at a Maryland high school on Tuesday said on Thursday night that she would be taking her daughter off life support.

Jaelynn Willey and a 14-year-old male student allegedly were shot by Austin Rollins, 17, in the hallway of Great Mills High School just before classes were to begin, police said.

St. Mary's County Deputy Blaine Gaskill, the school's resource officer, engaged Rollins, who also fired a shot. Rollins was hit and later died at a hospital.

"On Tuesday this past week, our lives changed completely and totally forever," Melissa Willey, Jaelynn's mother, tearfully announced at a press conference Thursday. "My daughter was hurt by a boy who shot her in the head."

Jaelynn had been on life support at University of Maryland Prince George's Hospital Center in Cheverly, Maryland, but was brain dead.

"She will not make it," Willey said, holding a baby in her arms. "We will be taking her off life support this evening."

Jaelynn was the second-oldest of nine siblings. She was on the Great Mills High School swim team, her mother said. A YouCaring fundraiser for her family has raised more than $72,000 so far.

According to an update from MedStar St. Mary's Hospital, the 14-year-old male victim was treated for a gunshot wound in the thigh and released on Wednesday.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK CITY) -- Two manhole explosions rattled lower Manhattan this afternoon during the rush hour commute.

At around 4:30 p.m., the New York City Fire Department was alerted to a loud explosion with smoke in Manhattan's financial district, officials told ABC News.

Roughly half an hour later, a second manhole exploded.

One person experienced non-life threatening injuries and was transported to Bellevue Hospital for treatment.

Firefighters evacuated two buildings due to high carbon monoxide levels. One building lost electrical service.

Utility company Con Edison told ABC News that following snowstorms, salt on the streets and sidewalks can find its way underground and corrode equipment, leading to potential manhole fires.

The cause of the explosions is under investigation.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(LOS ANGELES) -- The FBI and the Air Force's Office of Special Investigations are jointly looking into why a vehicle crashed shortly afterward gaining access to Travis Air Force Base in California Wednesday night, the Air Force confirmed.

Investigators are trying to determine what the possible motive may have been for the incident that left the driver dead after the vehicle was engulfed in flames. A U.S. official said it appears that there were propane tanks inside the vehicle.

The vehicle gained access to the main gate at Travis, crashing shortly afterward and catching fire, the base said in a statement.

"The driver of the vehicle was pronounced dead at the scene," the statement read. "There were no additional injuries."

The incident began when guards at the main checkpoint to enter Travis AFB saw a vehicle moving slowly towards the checkpoint, said a U.S. official.

When they motioned for the vehicle to stop the car ignited and ended up rolling onto a median towards the opposite lane of traffic, the official said.

It appeared there were propane tanks inside the vehicle, the U.S. official said.

There were no shots fired during the incident, a defense official told ABC News. The official added that the driver of the vehicle was a civilian, not a service member.

The U.S. official said investigators are looking at a broad range of potential motives, including whether the driver was mentally unstable, or whether it could be possible terrorism or a suicide.

The official said investigators are in the initial stages of the investigation and there are more questions than answers about this incident.

The Air Force said there are no current known threats to Travis or its community. The main gate has reopened, and all facilities are operating normally.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

ABC News/Elgin Police(ELGIN, Illinois) -- Police in Elgin, Illinois on Thursday released body-cam and dashboard video related to the March 12, 2018 shooting death of 34-year-old Decynthia Clements.

Police said on Twitter they had released more than 30 hours of video and posted a pared-down 21-minute version on YouTube that includes several minutes of intro from Elgin Police Chief Jeff Swoboda.

"This video summarizes the events that occurred on March 12, 2018," the YouTube post says. "Please be warned that the content is graphic and may be disturbing to some viewers."

Clements was killed by an Elgin police officer on the side of a busy highway in the overnight hours.

In the edited video, Clements can be seen speeding as police squad cars attempt to pull over the vehicle. Clements doesn't stop and when officers finally catch up with her, she’s pulled over on the shoulder on a busy stretch of I-90.

The driver’s side window is up. Clements can be seen in the driver's seat, smoking, and appears to be reaching for something, again ignoring officers commands and yelling at the officers.

Officers shut down traffic in both directions, and tried for one hour to negotiate with Clements and get her out of the car.

Throughout that hour, in the shortened video, Clements continues to put the vehicle in drive and slowly move it. That’s when officers decide to pin her vehicle between two squad cars.

Clements can then be seen igniting something, and tossing it into the backseat, setting the car on fire.

The car fills with smoke and officers are unable to see clearly what is happening inside the vehicle.

Through the haze of the smoke, an officer says he sees her with a knife, and can be heard on the video saying “She’s got the knife to her neck, she’s got the knife to her neck!”

With the car smoldering, officers again repeatedly ask Clements to get out of the vehicle.

With flames now coming out of the vehicle, Clements opens the drivers side door, and starts to exit with an object in hand.

Officers can be heard yelling at her to drop the knife. A split-second later she is fired upon and killed.

Police say the edited clip they released is based on more than 30 hours of video and more than two dozen video clips.

Swoboda said investigators recovered two knives and that Clements had a knife in each hand.

He also said the officer involved, Lt. Christian Jensen, fired his weapon three times. Jensen was placed on administrative leave, Swoboda said.

The Illinois State Police is investigating the shooting.

Attorneys for the Clements family said in a statement reported by the Elgin Courier-News that lethal force was unnecessary.

“This situation did not have to escalate to such a degree that cost a young woman her life. As we move forward with this lawsuit, those responsible for Decynthia’s death must be held accountable,” attorneys Antonio Romanucci and Andrew Stroth said in their statement.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(ATLANTA) -- The city of Atlanta's computer network was targeted today by hackers demanding ransom, prompting an investigation by the FBI and the Department of Homeland Security, officials said.

"The city of Atlanta has experienced a ransomware cyber attack," Richard Cox, the city's chief operating officer, announced at a news conference this afternoon. "This attack has encrypted some of the city data, however, we're still validating the extent of the compromise."

Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms said workers began noticing peculiar activity on parts of the city's computer network at 5:40 a.m.

"This is a very serious situation," Bottoms said at the news conference.

Bottoms and Cox said the attack caused outages to multiple internal and external applications for the city, including apps people use to pay bills and view court-related information.

The officials said that no evidence has been found to indicate the city's emergency 911 response networks, including those used by police and fire departments, were tampered with. They also do not believe the city's water department or Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport computer systems were affected.

Bottoms advised all city employees to be proactive and monitor their bank accounts for suspicious activity.

"We don't know the extent, so I would ask for people to assume that you may be included," Bottoms said.

Neither Bottoms or Cox would say how much the hackers demanded in ransom or if the city will pay it.

Cyberattacks caused by ransomware locks computers and holds them ransom for a specific amount of money, usually cryptocurrency such as Bitcoin.

"Our information management team is working with the FBI, homeland security, also external partners from Microsoft and Cisco Cybersecurity incident response team to help resolve this issue," Bottoms said. "We have been working diligently all day long to try to come to some type of resolution."

Earlier today, officials sent out an outage alert, saying the city was "experiencing outages on various internal and customer-facing applications, including some applications that customers use to pay bills or access court-related information."

Atlanta is just the latest victim of hackers freezing computers for ransom.

Last May, a global ransomware attack hit more than 200,000 companies, hospitals, government agencies and other organizations in 150 countries.

The attackers are believed to have used tools developed by the National Security Agency that were leaked to the public by the hacker group the Shadow Brokers in April to exploit a vulnerability in Microsoft Windows, the world’s most popular operating system.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

ABC News/Collazo Family(MIAMI) -- A week after the deadly bridge collapse at Florida International University, one of the survivors is speaking out in the wake of filing a lawsuit against the engineers and construction companies behind the project.  

Katrina Collazo, who was injured in the collapse, was overcome with emotion as she told ABC News' Gio Benitez about that tragic day where six people lost their lives.

In an interview set to air Friday on "Good Morning America," Collazo, the mother of a 3-year-old girl, said she was sitting at the spotlight in her Nissan SUV when she felt something slam against the roof of her car.

“I thought somebody had hit me from behind until I looked to the side and I saw all those cars under that bridge, knowing that they were dead. There was no way they could’ve survived something like that,” said Collazo, a medical assistant.

"To tell you the truth, I just screamed," she added. "I remember people running to my car and trying to get me out. And I just remember screaming and screaming not understanding what was going on."

The entire back half of her SUV was completely destroyed in the collapse.

Collazo, who was on her way to FIU to look into joining the nursing program, said she can’t shake the image of those cars flattened right next to her.

“I’m thankful for being here today and being able to speak. But there are those that aren’t, that will never hold their children again, that will never graduate. That is not fair. This is not supposed to happen to anybody,” she said.

Her daughter was not in the car, but her car seat in the back seat was entirely crushed in the collapse, Collazo said.

“That crosses my mind every second of the day that just because it was 1:47 p.m., my daughter was not in that car. I don't even know what I would’ve done. I don't know because she's my life, she’s my daughter,” said Collazo. "Imagine if she had been there."

Several other victims and their families also filed lawsuits this week. Among Collazo’s complaints in the lawsuit are that two of the companies involved -- FIGG Bridge Engineers and Munilla Construction Management -- “had a duty to take all actions necessary to preserve the health, safety and welfare of the general public.”

“Traffic should not have been permitted to go underneath it until it was safe and there were indications well before this accident happened that this bridge had cracks, that there were safety concerns. And at that moment, traffic should have been stopped until it could have been repaired,” said Spencer Aronfeld, Collazo’s attorney.

In a statement to ABC News, FIGG Bridge Engineer said, "We are aware that a lawsuit has been announced regarding the pedestrian bridge accident. Our priority focus continues to place sympathies for the victims at the forefront of our thoughts. FIGG Bridge Engineers will work diligently with authorized investigators in an earnest ongoing effort to determine what led to the accident and what can be done to ensure that nothing like it happens again."

MCM did not respond to ABC News' request for comment Thursday, but previously said: "Our family’s thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected by this terrible tragedy. The new UniversityCity Bridge, which was under construction, experienced a catastrophic collapse causing injuries and loss of life. MCM is a family business and we are all devastated and doing everything we can to assist. We will conduct a full investigation to determine exactly what went wrong and will cooperate with investigators on scene in every way."

Collazo has her own message for the families who lost loved ones.

“I want them to know that my prayers are with them. We’re going to the bottom of this, that we are going to make sure this never happens again,” she said.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(SACRAMENTO, Calif.) -- Demonstrators in Sacramento, California, gathered Thursday evening to protest the death of 22-year-old Stephon Clark, who was killed in his grandmother's backyard over the weekend after two police officers fired 20 shots at him.

A crowd of people went to Sacramento's City Hall, chanting phrases like "Stand up, fight back" and "No justice, no peace."

Black Lives Matter Sacramento is hosting the demonstration, according to the Facebook event titled "Turn Up - for [Stephon] Clark!"

"We are tired of Sacramento law enforcement killing us!" the event description reads. "We are tired of talking and meeting and sitting trying to convince our elected officials that there needs to be change!"

On Sunday night, police were responding to reports of a black male breaking into a car and hiding in a backyard, officials said.

When the responding officers arrived at the scene, they said Clark advanced toward them with an object in his hand, police said. Initial reports said Clark was armed with a gun and then later a "toolbar."

But the only object found on Clark was a cellphone, police later said.

Police released body camera footage from the shooting on Wednesday night as well as thermal-imaging video from a Sacramento Sheriff's Department helicopter, which shows Clark running from a neighbor's yard and onto his grandmother's property.

After police are seen running down a driveway after Clark and taking cover at the edge of the building, they yell several times for Clark to stop and show them his hands before several shots are fired.

Chopper video shows Clark moving toward the officers before the shooting, but it is unclear whether his arms were extended.

Organizers wrote on the event page that they waited until the video was released to schedule a protest.

In a press conference Thursday afternoon, Sacramento Mayor Darrell Steinberg praised the city's efforts to remain transparent by releasing the video but also said "it is not fair" to "render a judgment on the specifics in this case until more facts are known that explain what we all saw in the video."

Steinberg also encouraged the community to make sure voices heard, emphasizing his desire to make sure this kind of death never happens again.

"It is vital that we give voice to the pain in our community, especially the African-American community," he said. "There is far too much history, too much pain, not to say loud and clear the death of one more young man of color is one too many."

Former Dallas Police Chief and ABC News contributor David Brown told ABC News police officers are supposed to overcome "challenges of fear" in law enforcement training and that a person without training may "pull the trigger multiple times" without being aware of how many times he or she fires.

"Officers are supposed to know exactly how many times they're firing and look at the target and make sure that every shot is necessary to stop the danger," Brown said.

Brown added that when a large number of shots are fired, such as 20 or 30, "it leads one to believe there's an overreaction and officers got too close."

"They didn't follow their training, and they failed to de-escalate the situation," Brown said.

Clark's death comes less than two years after Joseph Mann, another unarmed Sacramento man, was shot and killed by police in July 2016.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(NASHVILLE, Tenn.) --  A Tennessee family recently had a run-in with an unexpected visitor while in the Smoky Mountains -- a black bear.

The Vastola family claimed to see the bear with their own eyes when it showed up near the front porch of their hotel room at the Quality Inn-Creekside.

“He’s on our front porch. Mr. Bear is right here,” Kim Vastola says in the video she posted on her Facebook page March 14.

The Quality Inn-Creekside in downtown Gatlinburg told ABC News that black bears are common to the area, as the hotel sits in the middle of the Smoky Mountains, and about a mile away from the gates to The Great Smoky Mountain National Park.

“I was shocked first of all. I thought I cannot believe this thing is around people,” Vastola told ABC affiliate WATE. The hotel claimed it does warn guests of the possibility of seeing bears in the area.

In the second video, taken by Vastola’s husband, the bear can be seen walking alongside the hotel carrying a bag. “Holy cow," says a man in the video.

Michael Butler, CEO of Tennessee Wildlife Federation, told ABC News these encounters are happening more as businesses build near wildlife habitats.

“And as we build more and more into and next to high-quality wildlife habitat, occurrences like these have become more frequent,” Butler said in a statement. “This is doubly true in this case because we’ve seen black bear populations rebounding to healthy levels over the past 30 years.”

Butler reminds people to never approach any wild animal, and call a wildlife officer if you see one near people.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

ABC News(AUSTIN, Texas) -- The parents of the man police say was responsible for a string of bombings in Texas are "devastated for the other families," neighbors told ABC News.

Jeff and Nancy Reep said the Conditts told them they had no idea their son, Mark Conditt, was the suspect in the serial bombings until a reporter knocked on their door asking for comment before dawn Wednesday.

"They were shell-shocked," Nancy Reep told ABC News. "They're devastated for the other families."

"Now, they're grieving their son," she added. "What he did was horrible and they know that too, but still, he's their son."

Residents in and around Texas' capital city had been on edge since the bombing spree began March 2, killing two people and injuring at least four others.

Chief Brian Manley of the Austin Police Department told reporters Wednesday night that 23-year-old Mark Conduit allegedly made a 25-minute recording on his cell phone in which he confessed to constructing seven bombs. All seven explosives have been accounted for, though Manley warned the community to "remain vigilant."

Three packages had detonated at residences in Austin, while another explosive was triggered by a tripwire. Anthony Stephan House, 39, died after being taken to a local hospital for injuries he had sustained in the blast. Draylen Mason, 17, was also killed.

A fifth homemade bomb went off at a FedEx distribution center about 65 miles southwest of Austin, while another package was found intact at a different FedEx center. The seventh exploded in Conditt's vehicle with him inside during a confrontation with authorities alongside a highway near Austin early Wednesday morning. Conditt died in the explosion.

Conditt's family said in a statement to ABC News that they "are devastated and broken at the news that our family member could be involved in such an awful way."

"We had no idea of the darkness that Mark must have been in," the family continued in their statement. "Our family is a normal family in every way. We love, and we pray and, we try to inspire and serve others. Right now our prayers are for those families who have lost loved ones, for those impacted in any way, and for the soul of our Mark. We are grieving, and we are in shock. Please respect our privacy as we deal with this terrible, terrible knowledge and try to support each other at this time."

The Reep said they never noticed anything unusual about Mark, who they said was homeschooled in Pflugerville along with his siblings. They described the Conditts as "really good people" who were "devout" Christians, often hosting church group meetings in their home.

"Mark was just a kid. He was quiet and very intelligent," Nancy Reep told ABC News. "They were good parents. They were involved parents. They did so much for their children. There’s no rhyme or reason as to why this happened."

"As far as we’re concerned as neighbors, you know, you’ve got a great family living next door to you, you’ve got kids that were brought up and interacted with your children like any normal family would do," her husband, Jeff Reep, added.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(ATLANTA) -- A man claimed he was kicked off a Frontier Airlines flight in Atlanta, Georgia, in early March because of the imagery on his shirt.

Professional skateboarder Justin Mallory, 45, was traveling to a Phoenix skateboarding convention when he claimed he was asked to leave his flight because his shirt, which featured the artwork of two guns, “allegedly ‘made another passenger uncomfortable,’” according to a statement from Mallory’s lawyer, Mawuli Mel Davis.

“I was flabbergasted. I was taken aback,” Mallory told ABC affiliate WSB-TV.

 Mallory, who was set to perform and sell merchandise at the Phoenix SkaterCon convention, said the artwork was a part of his skateboard brand logo.

“I have been a frequent flyer with many airlines and my skateboarding brand image has always been received as an artistic expression,” Mallory said in his statement.

But Frontier, according to Mallory, failed to check in his skateboard and “became argumentative” when he was asked by a crew member to do so.

“It is Frontier’s policy that skateboards are not permitted in the cabin,” the airline said in a statement. “After eventually checking the item, the passenger boarded the aircraft and continued to exhibit disruptive behavior.”

Frontier’s account was “totally false,” Mallory told WSB-TV, adding that he missed the convention because of the ordeal. Mallory and Davis said they're considering a lawsuit.

“It was embarrassing,” Mallory said. “I don’t want to see it happen to anyone else.”

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Joe Raedle/Getty Images(MIAMI) -- Authorities in Florida have released several 911 calls witnesses made to emergency dispatchers when a newly erected pedestrian bridge collapsed onto traffic on a busy Miami street last week.

As emergency dispatchers in Miami-Dade County began to receive calls about 1:30 p.m. on March 15, one of the first details witnesses called in were that cars were trapped underneath the concrete wreckage on the campus of Florida International University.

"Is this 911? The bridge at FIU just collapsed on top of a lot of cars," one woman says. "...There's a lot of cars trapped."

Another panicked witness informed a dispatcher, "The bridge fell down at FIU!"

The caller described the bridge as "the one that they just built."

Toward the end of each recording, the dispatcher calmly informs the caller that help is on the way. In several calls, the witness mentioned that police were already on the scene. Several calls were made in Spanish and required the use of an interpreter.

Six people were killed and several more were injured in the collapse.

The main portion of the bridge had been swung into place, using Accelerated Bridge Construction, just five days before it collapsed. The bridge was intended to make a safer passage across Miami's Southwest 8th Avenue at 109th Street, a seven-lane intersection where a student pedestrian was killed last year.

Workers were adjusting two of the bridge's tension roads when the span collapsed, the NTSB said this week.

A worker from FIGG Bridge Engineers had tried to inform the Florida Department of Transportation days before the bridge fell that he noticed cracking on the bridge but added that he was not concerned from a safety perspective, the FDOT said.

The employee for whom the voicemail was intended for was not in the office at the time of the call and did not receive the message until he returned, the day after the collapse, the FDOT said.

Multiple lawsuits claiming negligence and wrongful death have been filed against the companies involved in the construction, oversight and design of the bridge on behalf of injured and deceased victims.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Twitter/@idk_skylar(NEW YORK CITY) -- A little boy was invited to pose in an adorable photo shoot last week after his brother was unable to attend a high school prom with his girlfriend.

Clay Moak Jr., 2, took photos with his older brother's girlfriend, Skylar Fontaine, 18, on March 16. Clay's brother, Gage Moak, 19, is a Marine and is away at training for his Military Occupational Specialty (MOS), 1,000 miles away.

"At first I was upset, but I am willing to deal with the distance and him being away because he is the one who is away from all of his family and making the ultimate sacrifice," Fontaine of Louisiana, wrote in a statement to ABC News. "Clay is so sweet and always greets me with a hug. I’ve watched him grow up and I love him so much! He wants to be just like his big brother."

Fontaine said it was her idea to take prom photos with Clay, but his grandmother obtained the toddler's tuxedo and Marine costume.

Although Clay did not attend the actual dance, his mom Brandy Moak told ABC News that the pictures made him smile.

"We went and got his haircut and he was all excited," the mom said. "It was cute. It was adorable."

Fontaine posted the images on her Twitter page March 16, where it received over 43,000 retweets.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

MGM Resorts(LAS VEGAS) -- Surveillance footage from Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino shows how Las Vegas shooter Stephen Paddock spent his days at the hotel and casino before opening fire on a music festival and killing 58 people.

In the videos, released today by MGM Resorts, Paddock, 64, of Mesquite, Nevada, can be seen gambling in the casino, walking around, buying snacks, eating in a restaurant and even chatting with the casino's staff.

Over a number of days after he checks into the hotel, he can also be seen coming and going at the hotel, bringing in luggage and bags.

According to a preliminary investigative report released in January, Paddock checked into the Mandalay Bay hotel on Sept. 25, 2017.

On Oct. 1, Paddock opened fire on the music festival crowd from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay hotel, killing 58 people.

A total of 851 people suffered injuries directly related to the shooting and its aftermath, and 422 of them specifically suffered from some kind of gunfire injury, Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo said in January.

"In the interest of providing greater context around Stephen Paddock's actions in the days leading up to October 1, MGM Resorts has released these security videos and images," MGM Resorts in a statement. "As the security footage demonstrates, Stephen Paddock gave no indication of what he planned to do and his interactions with staff and overall behavior were all normal.

"MGM and Mandalay Bay could not reasonably foresee that a long-time guest with no known history of threats or violence and behaving in a manner that appeared outwardly normal, would carry out such an inexplicably evil, violent and deadly act," the statement continued. "Our focus continues to be on supporting victims and their families, our guests and employees, and cooperating with law enforcement with their ongoing investigation."

Authorities found Paddock dead inside his hotel suite. The Clark County Coroner's Office later ruled Paddock's manner of death a suicide. No suicide note or manifesto was found stating Paddock's intentions, according to the report.

The only handwritten document found in either of Paddock's connecting hotel rooms was a small note indicating measurements and distances related to the use of rifles.

Although a motive remains unknown, the report says investigators have determined Paddock acted alone and was self-funded through his gambling and past real estate transactions.

There was no evidence of radicalization or ideology, according to the report released in January.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK CITY) -- In the wake of the East Coast's fourth nor'easter in three weeks, five states from Virginia to New York are left with more than a foot of snow. Some residents on Long Island are digging out from a whopping 20 inches of snow.

The snow, which tore through Washington, D.C., Philadelphia and  on Wednesday, reached Boston this morning, where schools were closed today.

Here are some of the major snowfall totals:

New York:

  • New York City's Central Park: 8.4 inches
  • New York City's LaGuardia Airport: 9.6 inches
  • Staten Island: 13.8 inches
  • Queens: 14.5 inches
  • Nassau County (Long Island): 16 inches
  • Suffolk County (Long Island): 20.1 inches

 New Jersey:

  • Union County: 11.8 inches
  • Ocean County: 15.5 inches
  • Monmouth County: 14 inches
  • Burlington County: 13.5 inches


  • Philadelphia Airport: 7.6 inches
  • Lehigh and Montgomery Counties: 16 inches

Washington, D.C., area:

  • Washington Dulles International Airport 5.3 inches
  • Baltimore - Washington International Airport: 4.7 inches
  • Frederick County, Maryland: 16.5 inches

The storm left over 65,000 customers without power across the Northeast this afternoon. The most outages were in New Jersey where over 54,000 customers were without power.

Over 4,400 flights were canceled within, into or out of the United States on Wednesday and more than 700 flights have been canceled so far today, according to aviation data services company FlightAware.

"I'm getting used to it," Philadelphia resident Rick told ABC News on Wednesday as the snow piled up. "I think I’m about done with the snow here, but here it is, so you gotta make do."

Rick said the wind has been worse than the snow, but it's really the combination of both "that’s really beating us up."

"Hopefully it’s the last one," he said. "It’s actually springtime, so let’s hope that’s the end."

Meanwhile, a new storm is forming. Winter storm watches and warnings are in effect for 11 states from North Dakota to Virginia as a new winter blast moves in, bringing over 6 inches of snow to some areas on Friday and Saturday.

The storm will be in the North Dakota area on Friday, and then by Saturday morning the storm will move across the Midwest, bringing snow from Minneapolis to south of Chicago and into Indianapolis.

Saturday night the storm tracks across the Ohio Valley and into the mid-Atlantic with snow from Cincinnati to Roanoke, Virginia, before it moves off the coast early Sunday morning.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


WJTN News Headlines for Mar. 22, 2018

As the New York City area deals with it's fourth nor'easter in less than three weeks, Governor Andrew Cuomo used a storm briefing Wednesday to vent his frustration over the performance of u...

Read More