National Headlines
Subscribe To This Feed

Mike Stocker-Pool/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- Florida school shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz may have been left a large inheritance by his late parents, meaning he could potentially afford to hire private counsel and may not be allowed to use a court-appointed defender.

Howard Finkelstein, the public defender of Broward County, Florida, filed a motion on Tuesday asking a judge to conduct an "indigency determination" on the 19-year-old suspect after reports surfaced that he could stand to inherit $800,000 from his parents.

"It could result in us being removed from the case," Finkelstein told ABC News in a telephone interview this morning. "The question here is, are there enough resources to pay for a lawyer?"

Finkelstein said his office was assigned by the court to defend Cruz after he filled out an application for criminal indigent status the day after he was arrested in the Feb. 14 massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, that left 17 dead.

Cruz's 68-year-old adoptive mother, Lynda Cruz, died unexpectedly on Nov. 1 after contracting pneumonia, according to documents filed in the Broward County Probate Court and obtained by ABC News. His adoptive father, Roger Cruz, died in August 2004 at the age of 67, according to court records.

Each died without leaving a will.

But according to the court motion filed by Finkelstein's office, Lynda Cruz's attorney, William Bromley, petitioned the probate court on Dec. 14, 2016 -- before her death -- "to reopen and continue the administration of an estate wherein Nikolas Cruz may be a beneficiary."

The estate in question was that of Nikolas Cruz's father and Lynda Cruz was seeking to transfer the family's home into her name to sell it, according to court documents obtained by ABC News. "[Lynda Cruz] is actively pursuing loss mitigation in regards to the ... property, and has a contract in place to short sell the property," the petition states. Property records show she sold the home a month later for $575,000.

Following his mother's death last November, Nikolas Cruz and his younger brother, then 17, went to live with a family friend, identified in court records as Rocxanne Deschamps.

Nikolas Cruz briefly lived with Deschamps, but moved out around Thanksgiving and went to live with James and Kimberly Snead, the parents of a friend.

The Sneads claimed that Nikolas Cruz told them he stood to inherit in a few years at least $800,000 from his deceased parents' estates, the couple's attorney, Jim Lewis, told ABC News.

In documents filed in probate court the day after the mass shooting, Deschamps' attorney, Audra Simovitch, petitioned to have Deschamps appointed a personal representative of Lynda Cruz's estate, claiming an interest in the estate "as a family friend ... who is caring for a 50% minor beneficiary," meaning Cruz's younger brother.

Simovitch declined to comment on the probate motion, but confirmed to ABC News that she was retained by Deschamps prior to the high school shooting to assert Deschamps' interest in the estate on behalf of Lynda Cruz's younger son.

Bromley did not return calls from ABC News seeking comment.

The public defender, Finkelstein, told ABC News his office has never had a case in which it has had to go to probate court to explore the financial background of a client.

"We are never involved in probate matters," Finkelstein said. "In the public defender's office, nobody has ever come up to me and said, 'Hey Howard, our client may be worth $800,000.'"

Finkelstein has previously said he is willing to have Cruz plead guilty in the mass shooting if prosecutors agree not to pursue the death penalty in the multiple murder case. But Broward County state attorney Michael Satz issued a statement in response to the public defender's remarks, saying: "This is certainly the type of case the death penalty was designed for."

"It will be up to the court," Finkelstein said of whether his office will continue to represent Cruz, depending on the outcome of the probate court issue. "The court will determine if he has resources to afford an attorney."

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(WHITTIER, Calif.) -- Two AR-15s and 90 high-capacity magazines were found at the home of a "disgruntled" teenager who was allegedly overheard threatening a school shooting, the Los Angeles County Sheriff said.

On Feb. 16, two days after the Florida high school massacre, the 17-year-old boy allegedly said "he was going to shoot up the school some time in the next three weeks," Sheriff Jim McDonnell said at a news conference Wednesday.

The alleged threat was overheard by a school security officer at El Camino High School, located in Whittier, California.

Authorities found two AR-15s, two handguns and 90 high-capacity magazines at the teen's home, but the boy's older brother, an Army veteran, claimed the guns belonged to him, according to McDonnell.

One AR-15 was registered to the older brother and the other was not registered, officials said.

The teenager was arrested for making criminal threats while the older brother was arrested on charges including possession of an assault weapon and failure to register a handgun, McDonnell said.

The school security officer who allegedly overheard the teen told reporters Wednesday, "I'm not a hero. I'm just doing my job."

The teen had an extensive disciplinary history at the school, McDonnell added.

McDonnell said that was the second serious threat at El Camino High School that week. On Feb. 15, a student who had been suspended told his mother he wanted a school administrator dead, the sheriff said. The mother reported her son, saying she did not know what he was capable of, the sheriff said.

On Feb. 14, 17 people were gunned down at a Florida high school, allegedly by a former student.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed YORK) --   Sirens blaring, squad cars charged down a rural dirt road in Michigan, on the heels of a man on the run in a Chevy pickup truck who'd allegedly threatened gun violence.

Newly released footage captured the Nov. 28 incident, which ended with officers fatally shooting the suspect, 64-year old Robert Smith. The footage is compiled from dash- and bodycam videos first obtained by The Lansing State Journal and confirmed by ABC News.

When the suspect finally slows down, an Eaton County sheriff's deputy jumps out of his car and yells, “Shut the car off! Shut the car off!” the footage shows. The man shouts back, "Shoot my ass!" then is seen whipping his truck around and accelerating toward the deputy's vehicle, as well as another official car parked behind it.

The deputy opens fire as the truck hits his car, the footage shows.

“Shots fired! Shots fired! He hit my patrol car. He’s been struck,” the deputy yells as the suspect slams into the officer’s vehicle.

Altogether, 16 shots were fired, according to prosecutors, from the deputy and another detective on the scene. The detective was struck by his own vehicle in the melee and crawled to safety near the deputy.

An autopsy would later determine that the suspect was killed by a single gunshot wound to the head.

The incident began when officers from the Eaton County Sheriff’s Office arrived at Smith’s home in Charlotte, Michigan, to serve an arrest warrant and search the residence, the Ingham County Prosecutor's Office said.

Two days earlier, Smith had been arrested by Michigan Department of Natural Resources officers for allegedly driving while intoxicated. During the arrest, officers recovered a gun and Smith told officers he would not be afraid to commit gun violence and that he had nothing to lose, according to the prosecutor's office.

While deputies were surveying Smith’s home prior to serving the warrant, they saw Smith leave the house in his pickup truck, the prosecutor's office said.

They tried to stop the vehicle during that pursuit down rural dirt roads, but Smith refused to pull over, according to the prosecutor's office, leading to the scene that unfolded on cameras rolling from the squad car’s dash and an officer’s lapel.

The autopsy also found that Smith had a blood-alcohol level of 0.19 percent, more than twice the legal limit in the state of Michigan. The autopsy also found marijuana and prescription anti-depressants in Smith's body at the time of his death.

Ingham County Prosecutor Carol Siemon, who was appointed special prosecutor in the case, announced earlier this month that no criminal charges would be filed against either officer involved in the fatal shooting.

“All persons have the right to use force to protect themselves and others from violence,” Siemon said in a statement. “A review of the body camera footage clearly shows that these deputies were under direct assault and used reasonable force under those circumstances.”

An internal review of the incident is still underway by the Eaton County Sheriff's Office, according to The Lansing State Journal.

The Eaton County Sheriff's office, Michigan State Police and Michigan Department of Natural Resources referred all queries to the Ingham County Prosecutor's Office.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved


Subscribe To This Feed

Brian Blanco/Getty Images(WASHINGTON) --  The number of hate groups in America rose slightly in 2017 with some of the biggest shifts coming in areas relating to white supremacy and racism.

There are 954 hate groups in the U.S., an increase of 4 percent from the year before, according to a new report from the Southern Poverty Law Center, a nonprofit watchdog organization that tracks such groups.

While the number of Ku Klux Klan groups dropped from 130 in 2016 to 72 in 2017, the number of white supremacist groups increased from 99 in 2016 to 121 in 2017.

"In 2017, being a white nationalist suddenly seemed hip. No longer was it just a movement made up of old men wearing Klan robes or swastika armbands. Now it was young men wearing 'fashy' haircuts, khakis and polo shirts," the SPLC report said.

The largest expansion was among black nationalist groups, up from 193 chapters in 2016 to 233 chapters in 2017.

The SPLC attributes increases in black nationalist hate groups to a "reaction to white racism" and noted that while the black nationalist chapter increase was numerically more than white supremacist groups, their total is still dwarfed by the more than 600 hate groups that practice some form of white supremacist ideology.

"Trump not only energized white supremacists, he provoked a backlash among the Nation of Islam and small, fringe black nationalist groups that see in him a powerful reassertion of the same centuries-old racism that has always fueled their desire to break away from white America," the report states.

The White House did not immediately respond to ABC News’ request for comment on the report.

Specifically, the growth among white supremacist groups was most dramatically seen in groups "most closely aligned with the new president," the report states, giving examples like Patriot Front, the Fraternal Order of Alt Knights and Identity Dixie.

Identity Evropa, which is responsible for nearly half of all white supremacist propaganda found on college campuses in the past year, according to the Anti-Defamation League, was a group that the SPLC claimed "latched on to Trump" and "flourished." The report said that Identity Evropa grew from one chapter in 2016 to 15 chapters in 2017.

One faction whose growth continues to be steady is anti-Muslim groups. There were 114 anti-Muslim chapters in 2017, the most ever, SPLC said.

As this group increases its presence, "its connections to more hardline racist groups have also grown stronger," SPLC noted.

The SPLC has been criticized by some for the way it labels groups, including by some groups that reject the “hate group” label awarded to them by the SPLC, but it is widely seen to be a leader in the field.

According to the SPLC data, 2017 had the fourth-highest number of hate groups in the country since 1999. The overall number had been decreasing from its peak of 1,018 groups in 2011, dropping to 784 groups in 2014, but has been increasing steadily since.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved


Subscribe To This Feed

Ron Galella Ltd./WireImage(NEW YORK) -- Billy Graham, one of the world's most famous Christian evangelists, has died, a family spokesman said. He was 99.

Graham died at his home Wednesday morning, the spokesman said.

Known as "America's pastor," Graham was a key figure in the revival of the U.S. evangelical Christian movement. The preacher began holding revival meetings in the 1940s and went on to become an adviser to several U.S. presidents.

He had been in poor health in recent years, and had turned his international ministry over to his son, Franklin Graham.

Despite numerous hospitalizations in recent years, Graham's work remained in the public eye late into his life. In 2011, around his 93rd birthday, he released what reports said was his 30th book, Nearing Home: Life, Faith, and Finishing Well, on the subject of aging. Also in 2011, audio files documenting six decades of his ministry were put online in a searchable database.

Graham brought evangelical Christianity into the mainstream. As a spiritual adviser to U.S. presidents, he had great access to the White House.

"Each one I've known long before they ever became president, been in their homes many times, always called them by their first names until they became president," Graham said of several former presidents.

He was especially close to Dwight D. Eisenhower, Lyndon Johnson, Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan and both Bushes.

Bill Clinton turned to him after his much-publicized sex scandal, and George W. Bush credited Graham with helping him to quit drinking alcohol.

When asked how his life would be different if it were not for Billy Graham, George W. Bush said, "I wouldn't be president."

Donald and Melania Trump met Graham at the preacher's 95th birthday party in 2013, but they never met after Trump took office as president.

The evangelist brought his "Billy Graham Crusades" around the world, preaching to more than 210 million people in 185 countries and territories. His largest such gathering drew 1 million people in Seoul, South Korea, in the 1970s.

As Graham prepared at age 86 for what he called his final U.S. crusade -- a three-day event in New York City during the weekend of June 25, 2005 -- he pondered his own mortality.

"Do I fear death?" he asked at a news conference. "No. I look forward to death with great anticipation. I'm looking forward to seeing God face to face, and that could happen any day."

Billy Graham had been admitted numerous times in recent years to Mission Hospital in Asheville, North Carolina, for a pulmonary condition. Upon being admitted on Nov. 30, 2011, he was seen "alert, smiling and waving at hospital staff," his family said in a statement at the time.

He was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease in 1989. He also suffered from prostate cancer and hydrocephalus, or fluid on the brain, according to official reports. In January 2004, he fell and fractured his left hip; afterward, he used a walker to move about.

A born preacher

Graham was born Nov. 7, 1918, in Charlotte, North Carolina, and raised on a dairy farm in nearby Montreat. The eldest of four children in a strict Presbyterian family, he was known as "Billy Frank" in his teenage years.

His life began to change at age 16 when he heard the fiery sermon of a traveling evangelist named Mordecai Ham, who persuaded him to give his life to Christ during a spiritual revival. He attended Bob Jones University in Greenville, South Carolina, but left after one semester, saying the religious school was too strict.

He went on to Florida Bible Institute, now called Trinity College, near Tampa and was ordained a Southern Baptist minister in 1939.

At Wheaton College in Illinois, he majored in anthropology. In 1943, he married fellow Wheaton student Ruth McCue Bell, daughter of a missionary doctor. They remained married until her death in 2007.

From 1947 to 1952, Graham served as president of Northwestern College in Minneapolis. It was during this period that he began holding revival meetings with singer George Beverly Shea and song leader Cliff Barrows.

By 1949, his career was taking off, as some 10,000 people were turning out to hear Graham's preaching on a regular basis. A New York City crusade in Madison Square Garden in 1957 ran nightly for 16 weeks.

Graham founded the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association in 1950, running it for 50 years before retiring and handing it over to his son, the Rev. Franklin Graham, in November 2000.

Graham began preaching overseas in 1954 with a visit to Great Britain, where more than 2 million people attended his rallies. He held hundreds of rallies around the world, including South Africa, South Korea, Poland and Romania. In 1990, he toured China, something he would later call the "greatest crusade of my life."

Graham's autobiography, Just As I Am, was published in 1997.

From preacher to power broker

Graham met with criticism in February 2002, when tapes released from the Nixon White House revealed a 1972 conversation with Nixon in which Graham said Jews had a "stranglehold" on the media.

He later apologized and said his work with Jews over the years belied that remark.

Family business

After Franklin Graham took over as CEO of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, the elder Graham continued to serve as chairman of the board. Franklin Graham also ran his own ministry, the Samaritan's Purse international relief organization.

The other four Graham children also got into the family business, either through their own ministries or evangelical speaking.

Graham is survived by three daughters, two sons, and numerous grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(CHICAGO) -- The wife of a Chicago police commander killed last week during a foot chase in the heart of the city has written a powerful letter to the city and country.

Erin Bauer, the wife of slain commander Paul Bauer, described the emotion of seeing the city turn out in force to show their support for her husband on the day of his funeral. Her letter was released by the Chicago Police Memorial Foundation.

“Our hearts are broken in a million pieces and our lives are forever changed,” she wrote. “But that’s not the reason I am writing. I am writing to thank the people of Chicago for the outpouring of love and support at this horrendous time in our lives.”

She went on, “I want to thank those of you who waited for hours in the cold to attend his wake and funeral. There were families with small children waiting in the bitter cold to say a prayer, hold a homemade sign or wave a flag.”

“I saw each and every one of you from the darkened window of my car,” she added, referencing the hundreds of people who stood on overpasses and along roadways to watch the funeral procession.

Bauer was shot six times in a stairwell at the city’s Thompson Center last week by convicted felon Shomari Legghette following a foot chase that started when officers on a narcotics patrol approached the suspect.

Bauer was sitting in his squad car nearby, waiting to attend a meeting at City Hall when he heard calls for assistance over the police radio and responded.

Legghette has been charged with first-degree murder of a police officer and is being held without bond.

“One man almost stole my faith in humanity, but the city of Chicago and the rest of the nation restored it, and I want to thank you for that,” Bauer concluded in her letter.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Joe Raedle/Getty Images(PARKLAND, Fla.) -- Among those who lost their lives in a mass shooting at a Florida high school last week was Christopher Hixon, the school's athletic director and head wrestling coach.

Hixon, 49, will be laid to rest on Wednesday.

“If you needed anything -- a cup of sugar in the middle of the night -- he would bring it to you," Coral Springs High School Athletic Director Dan Jacob told ABC News. "Chris has a son with Down syndrome. He put needs of everyone else before his own."

“Coach Hixon, for me, was a father figure,” said wrestler Karlos Valentin, the Sun Sentinel reported. "His loss was just terrible."

"He was such a sweet guy,” wrestler Ray Corniel said, according to the newspaper. "He would bring us food for all our tournaments and take care of us like we were his own children and just watch over us, let us learn about life lessons."

Seventeen were killed and more than a dozen others were injured in the Valentine's Day rampage at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. The suspect, a former student, was arrested.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

ABC News(NEW YORK) -- A stalled frontal boundary continues to bring flooding rain, severe storms, freezing rain and snow from Texas to Michigan. More than 5 inches of rain have been reported in parts of the Midwest over the last 24 hours, sending many rivers into major flooding.

Some Midwest rivers, such as the Kankakee River in Indiana, are expected to be in record flood stage this weekend.

On Wednesday morning, 28 states from Oregon to Maine are under winter weather alerts.

The storm system stretches from Texas to Michigan on Wednesday morning, with ice and snow on the back side from northern Texas to Michigan and heavy rain ahead of it from eastern Texas to Ohio.

The stalled weather pattern will continue to bring more rain on Thursday from Texas into Ohio Valley and a rain-snow mix in the Northeast. At the same time, a new storm system will bring snow to the western Great Lakes and the Upper Midwest.

The stormy weather will continue into Friday, and more rain is expected from Texas through the Ohio Valley.

Rainfall totals will be heavy from Texas into the Ohio Valley, as 4 to 6 additional inches are possible locally. Snow is possible for the Great Plains and western Great Lakes, where some areas could see another half a foot of snow.

Some snow is also possible in the Northeast from western New York and Pennsylvania into New England and maybe even Boston.

February heat

Dozens of daily record highs were set across the East, including a lot of the all-time record highs for February. Tampa (89 degrees), Louisville (82), Indianapolis (77), Pittsburgh (78) and Cincinnati (79) all set February records on Tuesday.

On Wednesday, more all-time February record highs are possible in the East, where the forecast for New York City is 72 degrees, Boston is forecast at 69 degrees, and Philadelphia is projected at 77 degrees.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(MOBILE, Ala.) -- An Alabama police officer shot late Tuesday night has died.

Justin Billa was struck by gunfire after he and other police officers went to set up a perimeter around the home of Robert Hollie, Mobile Police Chief Lawrence Battiste said at a press conference for local media.

Billa later died at the hospital.

Hollie died at the scene, near Avondale Court and Crawford Lane, Battiste said. "We don't know if he died as a result of self-inflicted injuries, and we did have one or two officers fire shots at the scene, but we don't know if those rounds actually struck Mr. Hollie."

"We are very early in the investigation," Battiste added. "There's a lot that has to be done as we go through the process."

"This is a sad time for law enforcement here in our area, for the Mobile Police Department," Battiste said. "I haven't even had a chance to go to the hospital yet and speak with his wife."

Battiste said he would try to update local media with additional details on the investigation around noon or 1 p.m. local time on Wednesday.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(TALLAHASSEE, Fla.) -- Many of the students barely had time to dry their eyes as they rushed from funerals for classmates killed in a mass shooting at their school to buses chartered to take them to the Florida state capital, where they plan to lobby legislators and rally for tougher gun laws and school safety.

The two busloads of student activists spawned from the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School last week left Parkland, Florida, about 1:30 p.m. Wednesday for the 400-mile trip to Tallahassee.

"This isn't about Democrats. This isn't about Republicans. This is about us demanding change, and this is about the fact that we have already won. It's just a matter of when," yelled a student standing atop a car, firing up the group before they hit the road.

But just as the students started rolling north on their journey for justice, state lawmakers voted down a measure to ban purchases of assault rifles like the one 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz allegedly used in his attack that left 17 students and school staff members dead in Parkland.

With a 36-71 vote, Florida lawmakers defeated the assault rifle bill that would have also banned the purchases of large-capacity magazines statewide.

Several students from Stoneman Douglas who traveled to Tallahassee Monday night were in the gallery at the state capitol building when the vote was taken, and some gasped in disbelief.

Chris Grady, a 19-year-old senior at Stoneman Douglas, was not deterred by the stubbornness to change gun laws even in the face of the tragedy that occurred less than a week ago.

"I really think they are going to hear us out," Grady said as he prepared to board the bus in Parkland. Grady added that he hopes he and his classmates will change the minds of lawmakers to pass "common-sense laws like rigorous background checks."

"We are focusing on gun rights and mental health," Jaclyn Corin, a 17-year-old junior who helped organized the bus trip, told ABC News.

She said he hopes lawmakers will listen once they come face to face with school shooting survivors like herself.

"There aren't a lot of bills focusing on mental health, and we hope to change that," Corin said.

The buses are scheduled to reach Tallahassee about 8:30 p.m., and a group of students from Leon County High School there plan to be on hand to greet them as a sign of support.

State Sen. Lauren Book -- D-Plantation, Fla., who paid for the charter buses for the students out of her own pocket -- also plans to greet the students when they arrive and help them organize and meet her fellow legislators on Wednesday.

The students plan to start their lobbying efforts early Wednesday when they walk to the state capitol building holding signs reading "Never Again," the motto for their grassroots movement.

The students also plan to attend a noon rally Wednesday outside the old state capitol building to support gun safety reform.

"I'm committed to making sure no child is going to be scared going into a classroom," Jon Faber, a parent chaperone on that trip, told ABC News. "That's what they're going to achieve."

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(PARKLAND, Fla.) -- The teenager accused of gunning down 17 people at a Florida high school had a fascination with talk of guns and was preoccupied with wars and terrorists, according to school records obtained by ABC affiliate WPLG.

Nikolas Cruz, 19, was arrested after last week's Valentine's Day massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School and was charged with 17 counts of premeditated murder.

The documents, first obtained by WPLG, detail an individualized education plan (IEP) written for Cruz in June 2015, seven months before he transferred to Stoneman Douglas High School. His eligibility for the IEP was based on emotional/behavioral disabilities and language impairments.

A spokesperson for Broward County Public Schools declined to comment to ABC News on the documents.

The IEP was written as Cruz was finishing ninth grade at Cross Creek, an alternative school. The IEP shows a mixed bag of an improving student with ongoing issues of self-control -- and a fascination with talk of guns.

The IEP indicated that Cruz was making progress at the alternative school, both academically and behaviorally, but that he was, at times, easily distracted by his peers when discussions involved guns and the military.

In a science class, Cruz was “very compliant" and "helpful to his peers,” the document notes, but he was also reported to be “at times ... distracted by inappropriate conversations of his peers if the topic is about guns, people being killed or the Armed Forces.”

Another entry in the report indicated Cruz needed to be redirected at times to make better choices and use better coping skills.

"When things don't go that way he wants, Nikolas becomes frustrated and will perceive that it's the fault of others," the documents state. "He has made comments that authority figures are against him as a result of his not getting his way."

“He becomes pre-occupied with things such as current events regarding wars and terrorist [sic]," the documents state. "He is fascinated by the use of guns and often speaks of weapons and the importance of ‘having weapons to remain safe in this world.’”

The IEP references Cruz’s mother, who has since died. She, according to the report, felt her son was "doing well at this school."

"She is so happy with his academic as well as behavioral progress," the report states.

The report says Cruz had no behavioral issues that had required him to be removed from the classroom, but it does note two incidents outside class; one where he was coerced into jumping out the back of a bus, and another where he was repeatedly punched by a peer because Cruz allegedly used racial slurs toward the peer.

The documents also reveal that Cruz enjoyed volunteering for the YMCA every week and playing video games after school.

"Nikolas navigates the community independently, and rides his bike throughout his neighborhood," the report says. "Nikolas has not had any incidents of stealing since attending this school. He has been very focused on making appropriate choices in both the school and his neighborhood community.”

But the report adds, “Although Nikolas has made behavioral progress he continues to lack impulse control, he needs to be monitored while in both the school and neighborhood communities. ... Nikolas has difficulty with wanting to have friends and engaging in following the negative behaviors of those peers. He also has poor judgment in social situations.”

According to the report, Cruz's personal goal was to be "mainstreamed to his home high school. He often perseverates on the idea that his current school is for students that are ‘not smart’ and that he can now handle being in ‘regular’ school."

"He expressed that he looks forward to living independently," the report says. "He has been studying for the drivers [sic] license test and looks forward to getting his license before graduating high school.”

Cruz planned to go to college and/or the military, according to the report.

In court after his arrest last week, public defender Melisa McNeill called Cruz a "broken child."

"My children they go to school in this community and I feel horrible for these families," McNeill said, adding, "and Mr. Cruz feels that pain."

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(LAS VEGAS) -- A suspect has been identified in connection with the series of shootings in Las Vegas that appeared to target the homeless.

Joshua Castellon was taken into custody Friday by an ATF special agent on a federal weapons charge. On Tuesday, detectives with the Las Vegas Metro Police Department submitted an arrest warrant declaration for Castellon two counts of murder and two counts of attempted murder.

"Castellon will be booked into the Clark County Detention Center after the resolution of the federal case," according to a press release from police.

At least four people were shot between Jan. 29 and Feb. 2, according to police. Three of the shootings occurred in the early morning hours of Jan. 29, according to the Las Vegas Metro Police Department. One of the victims was pronounced dead at the scene after the suspect shot him while he was sleeping, police said.

The two other victims who were shot that day were taken to the hospital and treated for their injuries. One of the victims had been shot in the head and could not recall what happened, while the other victim was outside of a convenience store when the suspect approached him in a vehicle and shot several rounds at him, striking him once, police said.

The most recent victim was a homeless man named James Lewis, who was killed while he was sleeping under a bridge on Feb. 2, officials said. His killing was caught on surveillance video.

Video shows a dark-colored SUV parking near where Lewis was found. A man then walks up to Lewis and shoots him before running back to the SUV and driving away.

"He still should be here today regardless of if he's homeless or not," Lewis's daughter, Oneida Lewis Baker, told ABC News earlier this month.

Further details on Castellon's arrest were not immediately available.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(CLARKSBURG, Md.) -- A cache of weapons and an apparent list of grievances were discovered at the home of a Maryland teenager arrested last week for allegedly bringing a loaded pistol and a knife to his high school.

Alwin Chen, 18, was taken into custody at Clarksburg High School campus last Thursday after he was allegedly caught with the weapons, according to the statement of probable cause from Montgomery County police. The incident occurred just a day after 17 were killed in a shooting at a high school in Parkland, Florida.

Chen was detained after being quizzed by a school resource officer after another student relayed information that Chen had come to school with a loaded firearm, the statement reads.

When the officer approached Chen about the gun, Chen replied he had a handgun in his bookbag and also had a knife in the front pocket of his shirt, the document states. Chen was subsequently arrested on multiple charges, including handgun on a person and dangerous weapon on school property.

After being detained, the teen, the document continues, allegedly told an investigator that he "felt anxious from social interactions between himself and students." Based on that, the officer recommended that Chen undergo a mental evaluation, the document adds.

"This illegal and dangerous behavior will not be tolerated in our school community," Clarksburg High School Principal Edward Owusu wrote in a letter that was sent home to parents and obtained by ABC affiliate WJLA. "Weapons of any type are not permitted on or near school property. Any student caught with a weapon will be referred to law enforcement and punished accordingly."

During a hearing on Tuesday, Montgomery County police said that Chen's home was searched and officials found multiple guns, including an AR-15-style rifle, ammunition, multiple grenades, a tactical vest, and a C4 landmine detonator, among other items, according to WJLA.

Authorities also said that during the hearing that Chen had brought a gun to school on at least one prior occasion, WJLA reported. They did not elaborate.

The defense team attempted to appeal to the judge by pointing to Chen's status as an honor roll student with offers of scholarships at two universities and adding that Chen has no history of mental illness, according to WJLA.

The defense said the weapons allegedly found at the home were bought legally and they also weren't being kept in Chen's bedroom, but another room.

Despite the efforts to portray Chen in a positive light, the teen was held without bond

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

DigitalVision/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- A 28-year-old man was captured pushing a woman to the ground in an alleged road rage incident in New Hampshire caught on camera by a fellow motorist.

The driver who recorded the alleged incident, Jennifer Needham, told ABC Boston affiliate WCVB that she noticed a confrontation begin to escalate between a woman driving a Toyota Prius and a man driving the vehicle in front of her on Sunday.

Needham said that as she pulled up to the scene, the man was approaching the woman's car. As Needham began recording, the man had returned to his car, and the woman, dressed in a yellow puffer coat, is seen in the video exiting her Prius to confront the driver in front of her.

Seconds after the man opens the driver's side door, he is seen using two hands to forcefully shove the woman, who immediately falls on her back onto the snowy median.

"When I saw that she was shoved to the ground, part of me was just like, ‘Did that really happen?’" Needham told WCVB.

The incident occurred Sunday morning near the Henri Bourque Highway just before noon, according to the Nashua Police Department, which described it as a "brief road rage" event.

On Tuesday morning, police arrested 28-year-old Hudson, New Hampshire, resident Ricardo Montanez and charged him with misdemeanor simple assault.

Montanez told WCVB that the woman was "blaring" her horn at him and drove into his vehicle.

"At that point, she was crazy," Montanez said. "So, I turn around, and I get back into my vehicle."

Montanez said that when the woman approached his car, she punched his window and opened his door.

"What was I supposed to do?" Montanez asked. "I mean, I didn't know if she was going to hit me, smack me or what."

The woman, who was not identified, told WCVB via email that Montanez backed into her car and that she went to his car to tell him not to leave the scene.

"He got out and shoved me so hard I lost my balance," she said.

Although the woman appeared "enraged" and as if she were "ready to do something" and she confronted Montanez, Needham said, "You don't put your hands on a woman. You just don't."

"It's unfortunate that it happened, and I wish it didn't happen that way," Montanez said. "We were both wrong in that situation."

Montanez was released on $5,000 bail and will be arraigned on March 22, police said.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- The legal team for Brendan Dassey filed a petition before the United States Supreme Court Tuesday to hear his case. Lawyers submitted a writ of certiorari, which asks the Supreme Court to review the lower court’s decision on the case.

Dassey was convicted as a teenager in 2007, along with his uncle, Steven Avery, for the rape and murder of Teresa Halbach. Dassey was sentenced to life in prison, and the case was the subject of the Netflix series, "Making a Murderer."

In December, the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled police properly obtained Dassey's confession and he should remain behind bars.

“Too many courts around the country, for many years, have been misapplying or even ignoring the Supreme Court’s instructions that confessions from mentally impaired kids like Brendan Dassey must be examined with the greatest care -- and that interrogation tactics which may not be coercive when applied to an adult can overwhelm children and the mentally impaired,” Steven Drizin, one of Dassey’s lawyers, said in a press release.

Laura Nirider, one of Dassey’s lawyers, told ABC News they expect the Supreme Court to consider the decision sometime in late spring.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


WJTN News Headlines for Feb. 21, 2018

State Police Troop-T officials say the investigation is continuing into a crash involving two vehicles and an oil tanker on the State Thruway in the town of Portland last night...   &...

Read More